[R] Apparently Conflicting Results with coxph

Terry Therneau therneau at mayo.edu
Tue Oct 2 18:36:17 CEST 2007

  From my experience, what you are seeing is almost certainly a patient
selection effect.  (The number 1 reason for puzzling results is incorrect coding
of a time-dependent covariate, but you appear to have been quite careful).

   Assigning the implant as a non-time dependent covariate almost guarrantees
that the estimated effect will be beneficial.  The only people who get an
implant are those who live longer than average (long enough to get an implant).
The size of such a bias is surprisingly large.  The problem is rediscovered in
the cancer field every few years, in comparisons of responders to
non-responders.

   As a time-dependent covariate, you have the problem of indication for
treatment.  Say for instance that the devices were very expensive, and were only
used for patients in immenent danger of death.  For a device that was a placebo
you would find, not surprisingly, that being selected for implantation carried a
major risk.  The device may need to be extremely effective to overcome this type
of bias.  As a simple example, if you compare the death rate of those who have
seen a oncologist (cancer doc) in the last month to those who have not done so,
you find that the former group has a much higher death rate.

   Terry Therneau