[R] "continuous" boxplot?

roger koenker rkoenker at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 2 21:34:59 CEST 2007

If what is desired is a plot of conditional quantiles of y given x,
then loess plots of y on x binned on y is really not a good strategy.

You might try something like this:

  library(quantreg)

x <- (0:1000/1000)*2*pi
y <- sin(2*x) + rnorm(1001)/5
plot(x,y,pch =".")

plot(rqss(y ~ qss(x)),col="red")
plot(rqss(y ~ qss(x),tau=.1),col="red")
plot(rqss(y ~ qss(x),tau=.9),col="red")

url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
fax:       217-244-6678                Champaign, IL 61820