[R] R routines vs. MATLAB/SPSS Routines

Katharine Mullen kate at few.vu.nl
Wed Oct 3 00:22:31 CEST 2007

I would stress the advantages of the free and open source nature of R over
the proprietary programs you mention. Because R is free (as in beer), your
student will have access to it even when they are free of the university
that I presume buys a MATLAB/SPSS license for them. And because R is open
source, when your student has an idea regarding how to make R work
faster/more efficiently/more accurately, they can modify the source code
at whatever level they like.  They can also examine at whatever level they
like what R is doing, so there are no black boxes involved.