[R] Plotmath integral gets horrible with URWPalladio

Paul Murrell paul at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Wed Oct 3 13:27:13 CEST 2007

Hi

Paul Smith wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> With the following code:
>
> pdf(file="figure.pdf",family="URWPalladio")
> plot(0,0,type="n")
> text(0,0,expression(integral(f(x)*dx, a, b)))
> dev.off()
>
> the integral symbol gets horrible. With other fonts, the same does not
> occur. Is there some way of using Palatino-like fonts with a nice
> integral symbol? I am using R 2.5.1 on F7 (Linux).

That could just be your viewer not being able to find the font (which is
what happens to me on this example).  Try using embedFonts(), like this ...

embedFonts("figure.pdf")

... which, if it succeeds, will place the fonts in the PDF and the
viewer should be happy.

If that does not work, a workaround is to specify a different symbol
font, like this ...

mypal <- Type1Font("URWPalladio",
                    c("p052003l.afm", "p052004l.afm",
                      "p052023l.afm", "p052024l.afm",
                      "Symbol.afm"))
pdfFonts(mypal=mypal)
pdf(file="figure.pdf",family="mypal")
plot(0,0,type="n")
text(0,0,expression(integral(f(x)*dx, a, b)))
dev.off()

Paul

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul