[R] inverse of matrix made by low.tri function

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Oct 3 18:02:35 CEST 2007

You missed one very important line:

> library(Matrix)

This is not R, it is package Matrix, and the error is in that package, as
traceback() shows:

> traceback()
6: sprintf(gettext(fmt, domain = domain), ...)
5: gettextf("not-yet-implemented method for %s(<%s>, <%s>).\n ->>  Ask the
package authors to implement the missing feature.",
        fun, cl1, cl2)
4: stop(gettextf("not-yet-implemented method for %s(<%s>, <%s>).\n ->>
Ask the package authors to implement the missing feature.",
        fun, cl1, cl2), call. = FALSE)
3: .bail.out.2("solve", class(a), class(b))
2: solve(XtXu)
1: solve(XtXu)

I also suggest you find out about crossprod().

You don't need package Matrix to do this, and squaring a matrix (XtX) to
form XtX inverse is not good practice.  (Hint: what are the calculations
used to find the variance-covariance matrix in a regression?  You are
effectively doing a Cholesky decomposition of XtX, and how does that
relate to decompositions of X, e.g. QR and SVD?)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk