[R] Save and load workspace in R: strange error.

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Wed Oct 3 18:32:00 CEST 2007

Sounds like you are having permissions problems.  And as you're using a
mix of Unix and WinXP, you might be suffering from some strange
permissions settings.  WinXP allows a very rich set of permissions which
for many exotic combinations have no corresponding mapping to the much
simpler 9-octet Unix permissions space -- so the limited view provided
by the Unix permission string -rw-r--r-- may not really reflect what you
can do with the file.  On my own system, where I use WinXP and cygwin,
I've sometimes seem very strange Windows permission sets that look OK in
cygwin, but essentially disable use of a particular file.  I generally
fix this by resetting ownership and all permissions using Windows
dialogs.  It sounds like you need to get your sysadmins to help you sort
this problem out.

-- Tony Plate