[R] tcltk question

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Thu Oct 4 08:45:16 CEST 2007

Tae-Hoon Chung wrote:
> Is there any requirement for TclTk support for R? When I tried to
> call the tcltk library, it failed with the following message:
>
>  > library(tcltk)
> Error in firstlib(which.lib.loc, package) :
>          Tcl/Tk support is not available on this system
> Error in library(tcltk) : .First.lib failed for 'tcltk'
>
> The system information is as follows:
>
> Linux osirus.tgen.org 2.6.9-42.0.10.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Feb 16 17:13:42
> EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

(I take it that you meant to ask what the _prerequisites_ are. R does
not _require_ tcltk; it will work without tcltk, except where it
explicitly uses its features.)

GNU/linux is not really information enough because this is
distribution-dependent. The kernel name suggests that it could be Red
Hat EL. In that case, you need tcl and tk libraries AND the tcl-devel
and tk-devel RPMS at build time (it is picked up during the configure step).