[R] Bug or just a problem with the computer precision?

Renger van Nieuwkoop renger at ecoplan.ch
Thu Oct 4 14:44:17 CEST 2007

Hi

I have the following problem: I have a lot of numbers that identify
import goods according to the Harmonised System (8 numbers in two groups
with a dot in between). I want to move to the
6 numbers (4 numbers, dot, two numbers). My trick to do this works for
all the numbers in the Harmonised Sytem but not for this one:

A<-4709.9000
(A<-floor(100 * A ) / 100) = 4709.89

But this has to be 4709.90

If I do this in Excel it works fine...Any idea how to make sure that I
get 4709.90 and not 4709.89?

Renger

ECOPLAN
Forschung und Beratung in Wirtschaft und Politik
Economic Research and Policy Consultancy

Thunstrasse 22 / CH-3005 Berne (Switzerland)
Phone: +41 31 356 61 61 / Fax: +41 31 356 61 60
mailto:renger at ecoplan.ch  / http://www.ecoplan.ch>