[R] help_R2.5 updating

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Oct 7 07:43:36 CEST 2007

There is no 'R 2.5'!  Advice as requested:

1) Study the R posting guide and give the details it asks you for,
accurately.

2) Read the rw-FAQ.  Very relevant for Windows Vista users.

3) Don't use obsolete versions of R.  R 2.6.0 is current, and we do make R
better at each release.

If you have R 2.5.0, it is possible that the intended behaviour (it should
create a personal library directory for you) may not work on Vista: this
*is* covered in the rw-FAQ for 2.5.0.

Comments from the rw-FAQ:

   For an installation to be used by a single user, the simplest way
   is to make use of the `personal library' introduced in R 2.5.0:

   You can also have you a personal library, which defaults to the
   directory `R\win-library\X.Y' of your home directory for versions X.Y.Z
   of R.  This location can be changed by setting the environment variable
   `R_LIBS_USER', and can be found from inside R by running
   `Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER")'.  This will only be used if it exists so
   you may need to create it: you can use

      dir.create(Sys.getenv("R_LIBS_USER"), recursive = TRUE)

   to do so.  If you use `install.packages' and do not have permission to
   write to the main or site library, it should offer to create a personal
   library for you and install the packages there.  This will also happen
   if `update.packages' offers to update packages for you in a library
   where you do not have write permission.

   There can be additional security issues under Windows Vista: *Note Does
   R run under Windows Vista?::.  In particular, the detection that a
   standard user has suitable permissions appears to be unreliable under
   Vista, so we recommend that you do create a personal directory yourself.

The last point works better under R >= 2.5.1 than in 2.5.0.  It now errs
on the side of caution, and occasionally says you do not have permission
when you do.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk