[R] special characters in linux using dev.print

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 8 08:35:52 CEST 2007

How exactly are you doing this (see the footer of your message for the
input we asked for)?  What is your 'minimal, self-contained, reproducible
code', and where is the output of sessionInfo()?

The plusminus symbol is in the symbol font, and it is also in some text
encodings, so there are several routes you could have taken. For example,

pdf()
plot(1:10)
text(4,5,"\u00B1")

works for me in a UTF-8 locale.  (It works in any locale that has the
symbol in its encoding.)