[R] CompetingRiskFrailty modeling

Daniel Malter daniel at umd.edu
Mon Oct 8 19:33:26 CEST 2007

Hi all can anybody give info what I do wrong when modeling a survival
function with the CompetingRiskFrailty package in the following way?

"accumulate", "reduce" and "closed" are dummy vectors with 0s indicating no
event and 1s indicating the respective event in the appropriate column.

	action=data.frame(accumulate,reduce,closed)

basis=CompetingRiskFrailtySurv(ID=Subject,surv.time=Duration,status=action)

until here it seems to work fine. Then I fit the model:

reg2.afteropening=CompetingRiskFrailtySurvfitCreate(formula=basis~Loss,na.ac
tion=na.fail,control=list(niter.EM=5,niter.epoch = 2, tol.epoch = 1e-04,
tol.variance = 	1e-04,tol.frailty = 1e-04,
print.penalty.mixture=TRUE,print.EM=TRUE,print.estimates=FALSE,print.log.lik
=TRUE),risk.names=c("accumulate","reduce","closed"))

Then R starts running and shows the running sand clock. The first output
lines are

	penalty.mixture=0.001

	EM.iteration=1

And then nothing happens anymore (while the sand clock is still showing
after hours and hours). Can somebody give advice? It is highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Daniel

cuncta stricte discussurus