[R] lattice/xyplot: horizontal y-axis labels with scales(relation="free")

Andreas Krause andreas at elmo.ch
Tue Oct 9 15:40:33 CEST 2007

I would like to create an xyplot with varying y-axis limits and horizontal labels at the y-axis tickmarks.
The following does not seem to work, although I think it should, going by the documentation for par.
R version 2.5.1, Windows XP Prof.
Thanks for a clue.

  Andreas Krause

library(lattice)

# axis labels for y-axis are horizontal
xyplot(Sepal.Length ~ Sepal.Width | Species, data=iris)

# labels are now vertical
xyplot(Sepal.Length ~ Sepal.Width | Species, data=iris, scales=list(relation="free"))

# still vertical despite las=1
xyplot(Sepal.Length ~ Sepal.Width | Species, data=iris, scales=list(relation="free"), las=1)
xyplot(Sepal.Length ~ Sepal.Width | Species, data=iris, scales=list(relation="free", las=1))

# The example produces the same results for histogram(~Sepal.Width, ...)