[R] simulated data using empirical distribution

Tom Sgouros tomfool at as220.org
Wed Oct 10 16:13:58 CEST 2007

Hello all:

I'm sure this is a trivial request, but I'm still a beginner at this,
and haven't been able to find it.  I need to create simulated data based
on some empirical distributions of a single variable.  I've found R
functions to help me simulate data based on analytical distributions, or
to make simulations based on correlation matrices, but nothing so simple
as what I need.  What I have is twelve bins of data, and the population
in each bin.  The top bin is open-ended, and the whole distribution is
more or less poisson-ish.

I can think of a couple of ways to fake this ok, but is there a real R
way to do it?

Many thanks,

 -tom