[R] Rooting trees using ape

Simon Blomberg s.blomberg1 at uq.edu.au
Thu Oct 11 02:17:37 CEST 2007

Please supply enough information to allow us to reproduce the error.
Also, nirK.tree is a different object to nirk.tree, which might be
confusing things.

Simon.

On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 15:07 +0200, Chris Jones wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I seem to be having a difficult time using the 'ape' package in R
> when it comes to rooting trees.  Here's a short screenshot:
>
>  > nirK.tree
>
> Phylogenetic tree with 23 tips and 21 internal nodes.
>
> Tip labels:
> 	Burkholder, Burkholde3, Burkholde1, Burkholde4, Burkholde5,
> Ralstonia2, ...
> 	Node labels:
> 	, 100, 100, 100, 70, 91,...
>
> Unooted; includes branch lengths.
>  > test<-root(nirk.tree, 4)
> Error in root(nirk.tree, 4) : subscript out of bounds
>  > test<-root(nirk.tree, "Burkholde4")
> Error in root(nirk.tree, "Burkholde4") : subscript out of bounds
>  >

> I tried with the example tree provided in the package, and that
> seemed to work ok.  Any suggestions?
>
> Many thanks,
> Chris

Simon Blomberg, BSc (Hons), PhD, MAppStat.
Lecturer and Consultant Statistician
Faculty of Biological and Chemical Sciences
The University of Queensland
St. Lucia Queensland 4072
Australia
Room 320 Goddard Building (8)
T: +61 7 3365 2506
email: S.Blomberg1_at_uq.edu.au

Policies:
1.  I will NOT analyse your data for you.
2.  Your deadline is your problem.

The combination of some data and an aching desire for
an answer does not ensure that a reasonable answer can
be extracted from a given body of data. - John Tukey.