[R] Automating binning for chisq.test()

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 19:16:04 CEST 2007

The standard chisq.test() and fisher.test() functions, when applied to
two distributions (to determine whether the same underlying
distribution applies to both) requires one to pre-bin the
distributions.

Is there a library function (either built-in or in a package) that
acts more like the ks.test() function, in that one can simply pass the
two distributions and have it do the necessary binning as well as the
actual statistical test?

(Yes, you can accuse me of laziness: I just don't fancy trying to
figure out a routine that would make sure that there more than 5
samples in each of the expected bins before applying the chi-squared
test. It seems too much like re-inventing an elementary wheel that
must have been invented by someone else.)