[R] Updating R-Software without complete new installation

Vladimir Eremeev wl2776 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 12:02:50 CEST 2007

Schmitt, Corinna wrote:

> as I see there is a new version for R available. Can anyone tell me how
> I can update my version 2.5.0 under Windows? The last times I just
> uninstalled the old version and installed the new one. Afterwards I had
> to install also all needed packages again. All in all it cost me half a
> day until my system works fine again. Is there a quicker option? If yes
> please tell me the commands.

I usually just install the new version over the old one (to the same
folder), then
update.packages(ask=FALSE)

This particular upgrade required
update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE,ask=FALSE)

I do this way since R version 1.6 (or even 1.4), and everything works fine
and smooth.
Sometimes I have to manually delete older README's or something like this.