[R] problem with RCurl 0.8-1 installation on Debian Etch

Christian Kohler Christian.Kohler at klinik.uni-regensburg.de
Tue Oct 16 15:39:26 CEST 2007

Dear R-Users,

I am having some trouble getting an installation of RCurl 0.8-1 to work
properly on a Debian (Etch) machine.

The command 'R CMD INSTALL RCurl_0.8-1.tar.gz'  yields the following error:

Installing *source* package 'RCurl' ...
checking for curl-config... no
Cannot find curl-config
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RCurl'

I do know that a file is missing (curl-config) but where to get it from?
I installed the latest 'curl' and 'libcurl3' packages via apt-get install.
Furthermore, I crawled various mailing-lists to get my problem solved,
but without being lucky.

Do I miss mandatory packages that go beyond those two mentioned above?

My session data:
> sessionInfo()
R version 2.6.0 (2007-10-03)
i686-pc-linux-gnu