[R] R-2.6.0 - packages installation through a proxy - not working

Rainer M. Krug Rainer at krugs.de
Tue Oct 16 16:02:19 CEST 2007

Liviu Andronic wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I run R on Gentoo Linux and this week I upgraded R from 2.5.0 to
> 2.6.0. With the new build, I have stumbled upon an unpleasant problem:
> I can no longer install packages from CRAN through a transparent
> proxy. With the previous version, I simply added to

I always change the variables in the terminal window before I start R, i.e.

export http_proxy=SERVER:3128
export ftp_proxy=SERVER:3128

and then start R - I did it this morning, and it worked.

> /usr/lib/R/etc/Renviron the following line and it functioned like a
> charm:
> ## Proxy settings
> http_proxy="SERVER:3128"
>
> With 2.6.0, however, R refuses to connect to the CRAN mirror. I have
> added to the new Renviron even more lines (useless, probably). Now the
> Proxy settings look like this:
> ## Proxy settings
> http_proxy="SERVER:3128"
> https_proxy="SERVER:3128"
> ftp_proxy="SERVER:3128"
>
> I also tried - with no luck - to use the following command at the
> start of the R session:
> Sys.setenv(http_proxy="SERVER:3128")
>
> I get the following error message:
>> install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies=TRUE)
> --- Please select a CRAN mirror for use in this session ---
> Error in open.connection(file, "r") : unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> In open.connection(file, "r") :
>   unable to connect to 'cran.r-project.org' on port 80.
> Warning: unable to access index for repository
> http://cran.stat.unipd.it/src/contrib
> Warning message:
> In install.packages("Rcmdr", dependencies = TRUE) :
>   package 'Rcmdr' is not available
>

> So, is this a bug in R-2.6.0 or did anything change in the way these
> settings are handled?
>
> Regards,
> Liviu

NEW EMAIL ADDRESS AND ADDRESS:

Rainer.Krug at uct.ac.za

RKrug at sun.ac.za WILL BE DISCONTINUED END OF MARCH

Rainer M. Krug, Dipl. Phys. (Germany), MSc Conservation
Biology (UCT)

Plant Conservation Unit
Department of Botany
University of Cape Town