[R] Import from excel 2007

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at comcast.net
Tue Oct 16 18:04:19 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-16 at 14:38 +0100, Arnold Akem wrote:
> Hey Seniors,
>
>   Really new to R, please has anyone imported a dataset from MS office
> excel 2007 into R yet? It seem to be giving me hard times which I did
> not expect as it use to go well with the previous versions.
>
>   Thanks in advance.
>   arnoldo

Office 2007 is using a new format (.xlsx, .docx, etc.) that is not yet
compatible with most applications (including OpenOffice), since MS does
not document it.

The best thing to do is to save the Excel file as a .CSV file and then
use read.csv() to import the data.

Alternatively, save the file in the older .xls format, which will enable
you to use the CRAN packages with functions that support it.

It is possible that Prof. Ripley's RODBC package might work, but I don't
recall any posts confirming that.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz