[R] Import from excel 2007

Richard M. Heiberger rmh at temple.edu
Tue Oct 16 18:30:23 CEST 2007

The best way to read or write Excel files is with the RExcel package.  The
development package available from
http://sunsite.univie.ac.at/rcom/download/devel/RExcel.installer_1.80-14.zip
reads both Excel 2003 and Excel 2007 files.  In this development release,
the installer is structured as an ordinary R package for R on Windows.  It
installs an Excel addin and includes complete documentation.  RExcel
provides good two-way communication between R and Excel.  The normal method
of reading an Excel file is to open the file in Excel and then send the
worksheet
to R from the Excel right-click menu.

Changing formats from Excel to .CSV or anything else has the risk of
scrambling data.
Such workarounds should normally be avoided.

Rich