[R] Import from excel 2007

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Tue Oct 16 20:47:54 CEST 2007

R's developers have made the right decision. Like it or  not, my company
colleagues and "customers" provide me most data in  Excel. I want to use R
to analyze/plot/etc the data, and sometimes to provide them R applications
to do the analyses themselves instead of the current Excel analyses (sic)
that they do. I am not paid to tell them to go look elsewhere for help
(especially when it can be difficult to convince them to work with me in the
first place -- but that's a much more difficult "cultural" issue).

Like it or not, Excel is the most widely used data analytical/graphics
package in the world. In the business world, we have to deal with such
realities.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics