[R] Updating R-Software without complete new installation

John C Frain frainj at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 22:29:45 CEST 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: John C Frain <frainj at gmail.com>
Date: 16 Oct 2007 21:28
Subject: Re: [R] Updating R-Software without complete new installation
To: Vladimir Eremeev <wl2776 at gmail.com>

A word of warning.  There is a danger that some package that you
depend on may not be immediately available with the new version of R.
It is safer to install the new version in parallel with the old and
then if it does not work you can revert to the old.  For  Windows
follow the recommendations in the FAQ but do not delete the library
directory until you are sure that every thing works.  If you must
uninstall your old version keep a copy of your old library directory.
You can then download and reinstall the old version and use your old
library directory.

John Frain

On 16/10/2007, Vladimir Eremeev <wl2776 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Schmitt, Corinna wrote:
> >
> > as I see there is a new version for R available. Can anyone tell me how
> > I can update my version 2.5.0 under Windows? The last times I just
> > uninstalled the old version and installed the new one. Afterwards I had
> > to install also all needed packages again. All in all it cost me half a
> > day until my system works fine again. Is there a quicker option? If yes
> > please tell me the commands.
> >

> I usually just install the new version over the old one (to the same
> folder), then
> update.packages(ask=FALSE)
>
> This particular upgrade required
> update.packages(checkBuilt=TRUE,ask=FALSE)
>
> I do this way since R version 1.6 (or even 1.4), and everything works fine
> and smooth.
> Sometimes I have to manually delete older README's or something like this.
> --

John C Frain
Trinity College Dublin
Dublin 2