[R] RMySQL LoadLibrary failure: Invalid access to memory location.

Talbot Katz topkatz at msn.com
Tue Oct 16 23:06:55 CEST 2007

Hi.

I'm sorry to revisit a problem that's been much discussed, but I haven't yet
been able to overcome it.

I am running R 2.5.1 on Windows XP Professional 5.1 (Service Pack 2), and I
believe I have MySQL 5.0.45 installed (I downloaded and installed
mysql-essential-5.0.45-win32.msi from
http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/5.0.html).  Here is what happened when
I tried to install RMySQL:

R version 2.5.1 (2007-06-27)
Copyright (C) 2007 The R Foundation for Statistical Computing
ISBN 3-900051-07-0

  Natural language support but running in an English locale

Type 'q()' to quit R.

>chooseCRANmirror()
>setRepositories()
>utils:::menuInstallPkgs()
trying URL
'http://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/RWin/bin/windows/contrib/2.5/RMySQL_0.6-0.zip'
Content type 'application/zip' length 391364 bytes
opened URL
downloaded 382Kb

package 'RMySQL' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked

The downloaded packages are in
        C:\Documents and Settings\Talbot\Local
Settings\Temp\Rtmpic4Rsb\downloaded_packages
updating HTML package descriptions
>require(RMySQL)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
        unable to load shared library
'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-25~1.1/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.dll':
  LoadLibrary failure:  Invalid access to memory location.

[1] FALSE

Having looked at some of the previous threads, I hoped that I had the right
MySQL to work with the current version of RMySQL.  One of the related posts
says "You do need the RMySQL client DLLs in your PATH."  I'm not sure how to
check for this, but it was written in response to a slightly different error
message:

>Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
>        unable to load shared library
>'C:/PROGRA~1/R/R-25~1.1/library/RMySQL/libs/RMySQL.dll':
>  LoadLibrary failure:  The specified module could not be found.
>

>Error: package/namespace load failed for 'RMySQL'

and in my case it doesn't look like it's failing to find the RMySQL.dll.
Once again, I apologize if I missed something obvious, but I'm still stuck
in a rut that others seem to have escaped from.  I looked for an alternate
version of the RMySQL package at a site someone suggested in one of the
threads back in August, but that site
(http://www.bioconductor.org/packages/2.0/extra/bin/windows/contrib/2.5/RMySQL_0.6-0.zip
) seems to have vanished.  Any ideas on what I should do next (other than
shoot myself ;-) ?  Thanks!

--  TMK  --
212-460-5430	home
917-656-5351	cell