[R] Canberra distance

Stéphane Dray dray at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr
Wed Oct 17 15:09:05 CEST 2007

Frédéric Chiroleu wrote:
> PS : Be careful with function dudi.pca() from ade4 ; in values, "norm"
> doesn't give you what is written in the help page : "norm" returns the
> vector of standard deviations of initial variables when you choose
> "normed" PCA and the vector of standard deviations of normed variables,
> ie 1,  when you choose non "normed" PCA. We contacted authors of the
> package unsuccessly to rectify the information.

Dear Frederic,
AB Dufour told me that you send it an email, but it would be better to
send an email to the adelist, as suggested in the DESCRIPTION file of
the package.  BTW, this is a problem in the doc, that we will correct.
If you consider:
dudi1<- dudi.pca(X)
dudi&$norm is a vector of values so that dudi1$tab[i,j] =
(X[i,j]-dudi1$center[j])/dudi1$norm[j]

There is no bug, just a problem in the doc. Your "be careful with
function dudi.pca" is a little bit exagerated I think. We will correct
it but  there is sometimes some delay between a user request and its
implementation in the package. Note that we have other activities than
the development and the maintenance of ade4 (we have other scientific
projects, to teach, to write papers, reviewing activities... like
others)  and sometimes, we forget to answer to an email... sorry.
Our group provide free softwares, free documentation and teaching
ressources for ecologists since a long time.  This is a free
contribution, and I think that it merits more consideration than what
your email suggests.

Cheers,

--
Stéphane DRAY (dray at biomserv.univ-lyon1.fr )
Laboratoire BBE-CNRS-UMR-5558, Univ. C. Bernard - Lyon I