[R] Import from excel 2007

J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
Wed Oct 17 16:08:49 CEST 2007

Quoting Scionforbai <scionforbai at gmail.com>:

> I just wonder: why should R and its community try to support such an
> awful program, with its protected formats and unmantained
> features/bugs?
> I mean, from both philosophical and technical point of view: R is free
> software and should rather try to be 'viral' than to compete. It
> already has the strength, in my humble opinion.
>
> You want to use excel: go and use, you payed for it, so you have a
> commercial support elsewhere. You are not able to communicate with
> other applications? That's the fault of excel, not of R, which is free
> software and uses well documented formats.

It would be dumb to ignore the fact that Excel is a very widespread
program, and therefore in the real world we are very likely to
encounter data formatted by Excel.
I use R as a means to an end, as a tool to solve real world problems,
not out of a religious idealism.

Jose

--
Dr. Jose I. de las Heras                      Email: J.delasHeras at ed.ac.uk
The Wellcome Trust Centre for Cell Biology    Phone: +44 (0)131 6513374

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.