[R] Multi-objective optimization

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Wed Oct 17 20:27:39 CEST 2007

Hi Paul,

I know very little about multi-objective optimization.  Further, I don't
understand what "in order to" means. In multi-objective optim problems,
don't you almost always end up reducing it to standard optimization by
combining the multiple objectives into a single objective function?  Then
the real question is: what is the best way to derive a scalar function?

How about maximizing something like:
H(x,y; a,b) = (F(x,y))^a * (G(x,y))^b ?

where 0 < a,b < 1.  You pick a and b as per the relative importance of F to
G.

Ravi.

-------

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor, The Center on Aging and Health

Johns Hopkins University

Ph: (410) 502-2619

Fax: (410) 614-9625

Email: rvaradhan at jhmi.edu