[R] Import from excel 2007

Earl F. Glynn efg at stowers-institute.org
Wed Oct 17 21:50:41 CEST 2007

"Earl F. Glynn" <efg at stowers-institute.org> wrote in message
news:ff5nt4$pph$1 at ger.gmane.org...

> I'll try the odbcDriverConnect and let you know.

Thanks.  odbcDriverConnect worked fine for me, too, with new Excel 2007
formats:

library(RODBC)
channel <- odbcDriverConnect("DRIVER=Microsoft Excel Driver (*.xls, *.xlsx,
*.xlsm, *.xlsb);DBQ=G:/RODBC/TimeOrdering.xlsx; ReadOnly=True")
d <- sqlFetch(channel,"Sheet1", as.is=TRUE)
odbcClose(channel)
names(d)

I haven't checked, but the same trick is likely needed for Access 2007 using
RODBC.  On Windows Vista with Office 2007, the ODBC Data Source Adminstrator
shows two drivers for Access:

Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb)
Microsoft Access Driver (*.mdb, *.accdb).

In Access 2007, the new database extension is .accdb instead of .mdb.

efg