[R] problem with anova() and syntax in lmer

David C. Howell David.Howell at uvm.edu
Thu Oct 18 04:52:10 CEST 2007

The answer to your first question is "yes, the order does make a
difference." I have not worked with lmer, but the standard anova applied
to lm() will provide what are called Type I sums of squares. Each effect
is adjusted for all prior effects.

Look at John Fox's car package. I don't know if it will handle lmer
models, but it is worth trying. Note that for car the function is Anova,
not anova.

Good luck,
Dave Howell