[R] export R-data to VisIt

Katharine Mullen kate at few.vu.nl
Fri Oct 19 18:27:26 CEST 2007

Below is an example R -> netCDF -> R for rows of a dataframe that are
numeric vectors --note however that your dataframe includes character
vectors.  I can't look into that case at the moment - maybe it's easy to
solve, or maybe you have to do some hashing.

## begin ex.
library(ncdf)

dat <- matrix(rnorm(20),10,2)

c1 <- dim.def.ncdf( "c1", "c1units", 1:nrow(dat) )
c2 <- dim.def.ncdf( "c2", "c2units", 1:nrow(dat) )

x1 <- var.def.ncdf(name="v1", units="c1units",dim = c1, missval=0)
x2 <- var.def.ncdf(name="v2", units="c2units",dim = c2, missval=0)

## for some reason, when vars is the vector c(x1,x2) this does't work
## it may be a bug; get around my adding other vars later
ncnew <- create.ncdf(filename="file.cdf", vars = x1)
ncnew <- var.add.ncdf(ncnew, x2)

put.var.ncdf(ncnew, "v1", dat[,1])
put.var.ncdf(ncnew, "v2", dat[,2])
close.ncdf(ncnew)

ofile <- open.ncdf("file.cdf")

c_x1 <- get.var.ncdf(ofile, "v1")
c_x2 <- get.var.ncdf(ofile, "v2")

> Peter,

what a quick response!

But unfortunately, yes I tried the ncdf package, I looked at the examples,
but after 2 hours trying and many, many errors,  I gave up.....

Bart