[R] image 256 x 920 data points too slow

baptiste Auguié ba208 at exeter.ac.uk
Sun Oct 21 12:35:14 CEST 2007

Dear R gurus,

I'm trying to visualize a matrix 256 x 920 using image(), but i find
the display too slow (~ 1 minute –– admittedly, my iBook G4 isn't
very fast). The aim is not to get a good resolution image, but rather
have a quick look at the matrix. I couldn't find a way to plot a
smaller set of points from my data in a sensible manner (basically, i
want to decrease the resolution). Is there an easy option for this
purpose in image(), or possibly the lattice equivalent?

Minimal example:

x<-c(1:256)
y<-c(1:920)
z<-x%*%t(y)