[R] question on axis box with asp=1

Dan Kelley Dan.Kelley at dal.ca
Tue Oct 23 13:54:21 CEST 2007

Thanks very much for the reply.

Probably my example was poor.  In my real application, I have an 8Mb
data file of ocean properties, that I didn't want to attach.  Plus --
and I should have noted this -- I am using coloured filled contours,
so there is a colour bar at the right which uses up space and makes
it a bit hard for me to guess a good width/height ratio for the pdf()
command.

Since I am working with representations of regions of the earth, I
want to get correct coastline shapes, and so I set asp according to
the local latitude for a region of interest.  Thus, the width/height
ratio depends on the latitude and longitude range of the individual
plot that I'm making ... with this complicating factor of space used
for the colourbar.  (Every graph is different, e.g. the overall graph
might be tall and thin for waters near England, and short and wide
for Australia.)

I hope that anyone reading this realizes that my request is simply
that, and not a complaint about R.  If the answer is "there's no way
to do what you want, and you must adjust width and height in pdf(),
well that's fine and I greatly appreciate the advice.  I've replied
to the whole R-help list (I hope that is correct protocol), in case
anyone later on comes across the question and wants to know how it
proceeded.

Again, Uwe, thanks for the advice.

Dan Kelley.