[R] Input appreciated: R teaching idea + a way to improve R-

Matthew Keller mckellercran at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 19:34:06 CEST 2007

I think what Ted is getting at is a new kind of wiki. Maybe in the
short term (unless someone out there is willing to jump in and put
this sort of thing together), it isn't practical, but as a concept, I
found it quite appealing. The problem with learning from books is that
you don't get to see the evolution of an idea... you only get the
final product. But in learning, it is almost as important to see how
*not* to do it as to see *how* to do it.

In a way, I think this is why this list-serve continues to be so
popular - you see lots of ways *not* to do something and replies about
better ways to do it. The problem with the list-serve is, of course,
that people get frustrated with the same old questions cropping up
again and again. And for people with questions, the lack of
organization and varying quality/quantity of responses can make it
difficult to learn from the list-serve. I think Ted's idea is actually
a really good compromise. But until it takes off, I think the current
wiki needs lots of work, and will serve a very good purpose if only
the community would spend more time on it... Just my 2 cents...

Matt

Matthew C Keller
Asst. Professor of Psychology
University of Colorado at Boulder