[R] understanding dt function and fitting distributions

Stéphane CRUVEILLER scruveil at genoscope.cns.fr
Wed Oct 24 11:24:01 CEST 2007

Dear R-users,

I 'm trying to fit several kind of ditribution over real sample data.
Although I have been
successful for many of them, I can figure out how to deal with Student t
distribution.

In dt function documentation, I can read:

Density, distribution function, quantile function and random generation
for the t distribution with |df| degrees of freedom (and optional
non-centrality parameter |ncp|).

Usage

dt(x, df, ncp, log = FALSE)
pt(q, df, ncp, lower.tail = TRUE, log.p = FALSE)
qt(p, df, ncp, lower.tail = TRUE, log.p = FALSE)
rt(n, df, ncp)

Arguments

x, q:  a vector of quantiles

but I hardly understand what is a vector of quantiles and what would be
the best way to fit it on real
data.

Thx for your help,

Stéphane