[R] Passing args and data to optim. WAS: Re: vectorized mle / optim

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Oct 24 20:49:30 CEST 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, Arnaud Le Rouzic wrote:

> Hi the list,
>
> I would need some advice on something that looks like a FAQ: the
> possibility of providing vectors to optim() function.

Arnaud,

If I have misunderstood your intent, let me say I am sorry.

I think what you are struggling with is this:

 	Providing data and parameter values to an objective function to be
 	used by optim in a flexible way.

I have experienced some frustration in this myself.

One solution I have used is to write the objective function in a natural
way - using multiple arguments as needed for convenience and clarity.

Then I write a wrapper function that optim can handle that takes only a
vector argument. If I need to pass data or fixed values of parameters, I
do this by assigning them in the environment of the wrapper function.

Section 1.7 of Intro to R has an example ('open.account') of a nifty trick
that is instructive and helpful for this purpose; you may want to review
it.

In one project, I found it helpful to write a function that allows me to
create wrappers and the underlying objective function and gradient in a
flexible way. It is not well documented, can I send this and an example to
you off-list if you like.

HTH,

Chuck