[R] finding birth position

jim holtman jholtman at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 03:45:02 CEST 2007

You might want to consider another representation, but it would depend
on how you want to use it.  Here is a 'list' that records for each row
the position of the boys; does this start to give you the type of data
that you want?  These are the numeric values of where the boys occur.

> x.m
     b1 b2 b3 b4 b5 b6
[1,]  1  2  1  2 NA NA
[2,]  2  2 NA NA NA NA