[R] R routines vs. MATLAB/SPSS Routines

Frank Thomas news.ftr at free.fr
Fri Oct 26 17:54:07 CEST 2007

Some major differences between R and SPSS:
1/ The learning curve of R is steep and the one of SPSS is largely flat.
A difference any student will rapidly understand.
2/ The user interface in R is underdeveloped, in comparison to SPSS.
3/ In R without loving to spend time in programming you get nothing.
With SPSS your students will concentrate on content, not on technology.
4/ SPSS is so easy to use that the statistical conditions for using
specific procedures get easily forgotten. R is more close to the
programming side so no way to forget the foundations.
5/ The economic price of SPSS is really steep, you pay more than 30
years of development. R is free, but the real price for a student is his
or her time to learn, which can also be steep.

I think, how to evaluate the differences is in part a question of the
mindset and the work environment of the future user. If your students
are more mathematicians, program developers, engineers, science people,
etc. and need to tweak a procedure to single case applications you will
have an easy public with R. If they are more of economic, social
sciences, service industry people, and routine applications or large
data sets will be their job SPSS, SAS, SPAD are more adapted.

But this may be ground for discussion.

BTW: Contrary to some ideas both R  & SPSS can be programmed and the
algorithms for both have been published. So, no matter whether open
source or private property you know what you do (if you want).

Hope this helps,
F. Thomas