[R] Effect sizes

Jenifer Larson-Hall jenifer at unt.edu
Fri Oct 26 18:10:30 CEST 2007

I'm just curious . . . if effect sizes are so important, and possibly a better way of looking at results than p-values, since they don't depend on effect size (Kline,2004; Murphy and Myors, 2004),  why don't any of the classical tests, like t.test or glht specified for Tukey's posthocs, return effect sizes? I say "classical" because I'm sure there may be packages out there, not in the base program, which do return effect sizes, but do they also return everything glht does, which are confidence intervals for mean differences, t-values and p-values, standard error plus a cool MMC graph? Anyway, just wondering. I mean, it's not that hard to calculate effect sizes on my own, but it seems like if they were important they would be included . . .

Jenifer

Dr. Jenifer Larson-Hall
Assistant Professor of Linguistics
University of North Texas