[R] Cannot install 'rgl'

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Mon Oct 29 14:16:42 CET 2007

On 29 October 2007 at 05:45, Metaxab wrote:

| Hello I have the following problem:
|
| I am trying to install the 'rgl' package by:
|
| sudo R
| install.packages('rgl',dependencies=TRUE)
|

| I get the following message
|
| checking for X... no
| configure: error: X11 not found but required, configure aborted.
| ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgl'

Your R is broken -- no X11.  Maybe you compiled it yourself without having
the proper development packages for X11.

| ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rgl'
|

| How can I resolve this issue
|
| I run Ubuntu 7.10

Do this:

1)  a) Install either the r-base package that Ubuntu has for you (as it will
        have working X11(, or

    b) Install the 'backported' R for Ubuntu available on every CRAN mirror

2)  a) In the Ubuntu package for rgl:
		sudo apt-get install r-cran-rgl
       or

    b) Install at least the _build-dependencies_ for it
		sudo apt-get install build-dep r-cran-rgl
       and then proceed to your manual install.

You may want to subscribe to r-sig-debian to ask Debian / Ubuntu questions there.

Dirk