[R] postscript(), used from a pre R-2.6.0 workspace

Peter Dalgaard P.Dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Oct 30 11:26:14 CET 2007

John Maindonald wrote:
> I find that if start R-2.6.0 in a workspace with no .RData file,
> load one of my workspaces from R-2.5.1 or earlier into R-2.6.0,
> and then before doing anything else type postscript(file="z.ps"),
> I get::
>
>  > ls()
> character(0)
>  > load(url("http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm/r/test5.RData"))
>  > postscript(file="z.ps")
> Error in postscript(file = "z.ps") : Invalid font type
> In addition: Warning messages:
> 1: closing unused connection 3 (gzcon(http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm/r/test5.RData)
> )
> 2: In postscript(file = "z.ps") :
>    font family not found in PostScript font database
> 3: In postscript(file = "z.ps") :
>    font family not found in PostScript font database
>
> Or R may be started in a workspace with such a .RData file,
> or with a .RData file from R-2.5.1 or earlier.
>
> This behavior persists even if I take such an image file, load it,
> clear the workspace, and save it.  An instance of such a .RData
> file has the url:
> http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm//r/test5.RData
>
> It makes no difference whether I load the file into R-2.6.0
> on a MacOS X or Windows system, or whether I use the current
> R-patched (2007-10-27 r43288).  I do not know whether the
> source of the original .RData file matters, or how it may depend
> on what I have done in that earlier workspace.
>
> For moving my .RData files across without messing up use of
> postscript() [or pdf()],  a workaround is to dump the contents of the
> earlier workspace, then start R in a working directory whose
> .RData file, if any, has the proper R-2.6.0 pedigree, and source
> the dumped file.  I do not want to have to directly run the function
> that creates the database each time I start a session.
>
> Has anyone else hit this?

I get a slightly different scenario:

R version 2.6.0 (2007-10-03)
> load(url("http://www.maths.anu.edu.au/~johnm/r/test5.RData"))
> postscript(file="z.ps")
Error in postscript(file = "z.ps") : failed to load encoding
In addition: Warning message:
In postscript(file = "z.ps") : failed to load encoding file 'macRoman'
> ls(all=T)
 [1] ".Last.projection"    ".Last.value"         ".PostScript.Options"
 [4] ".Provided"           ".Random.seed"        ".Traceback"
 [7] ".call"               ".ess.lvsave"         ".formula"
[10] ".map.range"          ".rdired.objects"     ".required"
[13] ".rpart.parms.2"      ".rpart.parms.3"      ".rpart.parms.4"
[16] ".rpart.parms.5"
> rm(.PostScript.Options)
> postscript(file="z.ps")

You might try and do likewise