[R] How to switch off accepting the shortcut of column names

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Oct 30 16:34:36 CET 2007

If you had updated your R before posting (as the posting guide suggested)
you would have found such an option under ?options.  It was new in R
2.6.0.

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007, P. Olsson wrote:

> Dear R-users,
>
> currently I am working with the R version 2.4.1.
> I realized it has a feature,  which might be wonderful (as so many things in
> R), but in this case might be a bit dangerous as well. It seems that columns
> of a data frame can be called just by indicating the first letter of the
> name of the column.

Well, this applies to lists not just data frame, and to partial matching
not just the first letter.

If you want only exact matches I suggest you use other operators, e.g.
dat[["f"]] will warn in 2.6.x and fail in R-devel.