[R] high RAM on Linux or Solaris platform

David Bickel dbickel at uottawa.ca
Tue Oct 30 18:30:10 CET 2007

To help me make choices regarding a platform for running high-memory R
processes in parallel, I would appreciate any responses to these
questions:

1. Does the amount of RAM available to an R session depend on the
processor (Intel vs. Sun) or on the OS (various Linux distributions vs.
Solaris)?

2. Does R have any built-in limitations of RAM available to a session?
For example, could it make use of 16 GB in one session given the right
processor/OS platform?

3. Is there anything else I should consider before choosing a processor
and OS?

If there is a better list for these kinds of questions, please advise.

David

David R. Bickel
Ottawa Institute of Systems Biology
BMI Dept., University of Ottawa