[R] R WinEdt on Windows vista

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Wed Oct 31 16:10:07 CET 2007

Alexander Nervedi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I was trying to install the RWinEdt library on a Windows Vista machine which had R 2.6.0, WinEdt 5.4 and the RWinEdt1.7.8.zip file in the library folder under the ...\R\2.6.0 directory. I am able to install fine form the local zip but I can't launch winedt from within R for some reason.
>
>> utils:::menuInstallLocal()
> package 'RWinEdt' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
> updating HTML package descriptions
>> library(RWinEdt)
> Error in file(file, "r") : unable to open connection In addition: Warning message:
> In file(file, "r") :
>   cannot open file 'C:\Program Files\WinEdt Team\WinEdt\R.ver', reason 'No such file or directory'

At first make sure that WinEdt is installed and registered.
Then, please start R with a right click (and choose start with
Administrator privileges - don't know the exact english translation) and
reinstall RWinEdt. Everything should work after that.

I just found out that there might be a minor problem with unregistered
versions of WinEdt - and a fix will be committed shortly (but not that
important, because people who do not own a copy can make use of other
editors such as Tinn-R, which is better supported than my RWinEdt
extension, I hope...

Uwe Ligges