[R] Find A, given B where B=A'A

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Oct 31 22:02:44 CET 2007

On 31-Oct-07 22:19:22, Lucke, Joseph F wrote:
> chol(B) doesn't give the original A, which I believe is
> what Mike wants.

No-one can tell what this was, from B alone.
If A is any solution to t(A)%*%A = B,
and if T is any unitary matrix -- i.e. t(T)%*%T = I,
the unit diagonal matrix (and there are infinitely many
of these), then T%*%A is also a solution:

For 2x2 matrices, matrix(c(cos(u),-sin(u),sin(u),cos(u)),nrow=2)
is a unitary matrix, for any real value of u. Etc.

Best wishes,
Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 31-Oct-07                                       Time: 22:02:41