[R] Visual details in integration of emacs, ess, Sweave (under aquamacs on OS X)

Ajay Shah ajayshah at mayin.org
Sat Sep 1 16:44:27 CEST 2007

I am a very happy user of emacs, ess, Sweave. My complaint is about
aquamacs (under OS X) and might not apply to other emacs variants.

There is one piece of visual detail that I think is a problem. When
the cursor moves from a line that's latex to a line that's R, ess
automatically switches from auctex to sweave mode. That's very smart
and extremely convenient. However, the vertical height of the toolbar
at the top for auctex is different from that for sweave. As a
consequence, there is an extremely disconcerting jump where the cursor
is no longer at the physical pixel which you were looking at.

The solution perhaps involves the people who do auctex and the people
who're writing ess to agree on how many pixels their toolbar will
take, so as to avoid these jarring jumps.

--
Ajay Shah                                      http://www.mayin.org/ajayshah
ajayshah at mayin.org                             http://ajayshahblog.blogspot.com