[R] Incomplete rank functions

Jim Lemon jim at bitwrit.com.au
Tue Sep 4 13:38:17 CEST 2007

Hi folks,
Thanks to my esteemed colleagues, I have been grappling with the
analysis of incomplete ranks. These result from questions like:

Number the three most important things from the following list in order
from 1 to 3.

OR

Where some or all respondents or observers have not assigned ranks to
some items.

In doing so, I have programmed a few functions to impute values where
all ranks have not been allocated. These are all based upon substituting
the mean of all unallocated ranks for missing values for each set (row)
of ranks. Ties can be handled and optionally expanded to cover the
values that would have resulted if the ties had not occurred. This
satisfies the assumption that all sets of ranks sum to the same value,
and infers that the unranked items were not distinguished by the ranker.

I searched Jon Baron's index with "incomplete ranks" and found nothing
like this. If there is a package maintainer out there who is interested
in using these functions, I would be happy to donate them.

Jim