[R] bootstrap confidence intervals with previously existing bootstrap sample

dolph008 at umn.edu dolph008 at umn.edu
Tue Sep 4 21:32:18 CEST 2007

Dear R users,

I am new to R. I would like to calculate bootstrap confidence intervals
using the BCa method for a parameter of interest. My situation is this: I
already have a set of 1000 bootstrap replicates created from my original
data set. I have already calculated the statistic of interest for each
bootstrap replicate, and have also calculated the mean for this statistic
across all the replicates. Now I would like to calculate Bca confidence
intervals for this statistic. Is there a way to import my
previously-calculated set of 1000 statistics into R, and then calculate
bootstrap confidence intervals around the mean from this imported data?

I have found the code for boot.ci in the manual for the boot package, but
it looks like it requires that I first use the "boot" function, and then
apply the output to "boot.ci". Because my bootstrap samples already exist,
I don't want to use "boot", but just want to import the 1000 values I have
already calculated, and then get R to calculate the mean and Bca confidence
intervals based on these values. Is this possible?

Hopefully this makes sense. Thanks so much for any help or advice,

Christy Dolph

Graduate Student
Water Resources Science
University of Minnesota-Twin Cities