[R] Choosing the optimum lag order of ARIMA model

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Sep 5 13:34:11 CEST 2007

On Wed, 5 Sep 2007, Megh Dal wrote:

> Hi Leeds, Thanx for this reply. Actually I did not want to know whether
> any differentiation is needed or not. My question was that : what is the
> difference between two models :
>
>  arima(data, c(2,1,2))
>
>  and
>
>  arima(diff(data), c(2,0,2))
>
>  If I am correct then those two models are same. Therefore I should get
> same results for both of the cases. Am I doing something wrong?

They are not the same.  Please do study the help page, and in particular
the 'include.mean' argument.  One is a model for n observations and
the other for n-1 observations, and how that affects the issue is
discussed on the help page.  With the right options you will get similar
but not identical results.

> arima(x, c(2,1,2), method="ML")

Coefficients:
          ar1      ar2      ma1     ma2
       0.0786  -0.3561  -0.0869  0.1272
s.e.  0.6135   0.4296   0.6564  0.4549

sigma^2 estimated as 0.01368:  log likelihood = 46.46,  aic = -82.92

> arima(diff(x), c(2,0,2), method="ML", include.mean=FALSE)

Coefficients:
          ar1      ar2      ma1     ma2
       0.0786  -0.3561  -0.0869  0.1272
s.e.  0.6135   0.4296   0.6564  0.4549

sigma^2 estimated as 0.01329:  log likelihood = 47.38,  aic = -82.76

And did you have permission to copy private (and impolite) messages from
Mr Leeds to this list?  If you did, please say so in your own posting for
the record.  Since I don't have such permission I have deleted them from
this reply.

Professor Ripley

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk