[R] length of a string

Benilton Carvalho bcarvalh at jhsph.edu
Wed Sep 5 16:40:38 CEST 2007

As long as you keep in mind Prof. Ripley's comment, you're going to
be fine with nchar().

http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e2/devel/07/05/3450.html

Remember that what you want exactly is given by nchar(obj,
type="chars"), which is **NOT** the default on R 2.5.1 (only on
R-2.6.0).

In your particular situation, assuming R-2.5.1, nchar(obj) works, but
i'm afraid it's only a coincidence.