[R] Q: selecting a name when it is known as a string

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at intermountainmail.org
Wed Sep 5 20:44:21 CEST 2007

If your main goal is to do a loess fit, then make predictions from that,
then using the 'get' function may do what you want:

 tmp.var <- get(ORDINATE)
 lo <- loess(percent ~ ncms * tmp.var, d, ...
 grid <- expand.grid(tmp.var=MINVAL:MAXVAL, ncms=MINCMS:MAXCMS)
 predict(lo, grid)

Here you stick with the name tmp.var so it matches between the formula
and the data frame, the predictions will be what you want.  If you also
want to print out some of the model summary then realize that it will
have tmp.var in place of ds or whatever (It may not be too much trouble
to change that name after the fact if that is what is important).

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center