[R] Lisp-like primitives in R

Roland Rau roland.rproject at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 01:36:55 CEST 2007

François Pinard wrote:
> I wonder what happened, for R to hide the underlying Scheme so fully, at
> least at the level of the surface language (despite there are hints).

As far as I understood, the original version of Ihaka/Gentleman was
written in Scheme. But even if you look at the source version of R 0.49
(the oldest I can find), the source files are written in C. In addition,
in their article published in "Journal of Computational and Graphical
Statistics" in 1996, Ihaka and Gentleman write on page 307: "To further
foster portability, we chose to write R in ANSI C...."

Hope this clarifies the situation a bit. If we are lucky and one of the
original authors reads this thread they might explain the situation
further and better (and probably correct me).

Best,
Roland